Monday, October 11, 2010

Keep it simple...or not?

Sometimes the best meals are based on simple foundations with just a few complex components.  Lets take tonight's dinner for example - Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes.

When you think about it, there really isn't anything complex about it; you mold meat into a loaf, mash up some spuds and viola, dinner is served...but not in this house.  Personally, I think that if you are taking the time to make dinner, then you need to enjoy it - even if that means putting in a little extra work.

For tonight's meatloaf, I decided to go with a veal demi-glace gravy, which made such an insane impact on the flavor of this meatloaf. DE-LI-CI-OUS!  I basically made a roux with diced onions and a few table spoons of veal demi-glace.  Once the flour was cooked through, I added 2 cups of chicken stock, some herbs (rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper) and let it simmer and reduce to a thick, smoothe gravy. If you ever have the chance to taste or cook with demi-glace DO IT! you wont regret it, I promise you!

*Now, just in case your not familiar with demi-glace, here's the basic explanation:  Its pretty much a traditional French preparation.  It is created by slowly simmering stock (in this case veal), aromatics (herbs, oils, etc) and wine down to a super, super concentrated and flavorful glaze.  Because its so intense in flavor, its excellent for using it in sauces, stews, soups, risottos, etc.  There are all types or demi-glace, but the most popular versions are veal, chicken, beef, and mushroom.*

As for the potatoes, I went with a tried and true method; roasted black garlic and onions.  After boiling the potatoes, I passed them through a food mill (such a great creation - perfect for silky, smoothe potatoes) and added some butter, cream, salt, pepper and the roasted black garlic and onions...which reminds me, I need to go buy more black garlic.

All in all, tonight's meal was a home-run.  Comfort foods are always great, especially when you're able to find ways to improve upon them.  I can definitely say that I am excited to find and cook with the other versions of demi-glace and see what dishes I can come up with. I think that from this point on, demi-glace will be a mainstay in my home.


Meatloaf with Veal Demi-Glace Gravy & Black Garlic Mashed Potatoes





2 comments:

Dave said...

looks tasty Lance, I'm a big fan of turkey meatloaf myself; a little healthier but a little less flavorful . . . but I think you're going more for flavor ;)

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Wow, I'm impressed by your sophistication (I just sautee everything and pretend I'm French). It was so nice to meet you at the Farmer's Market, and I hope we can get together soon!

Best,
Erin Lehman

Post a Comment